How to Prepare For Your Photography Session- Tips on What to Wear and More
Updated: Oct 22
Wondering what you should wear for your session to make those photos look professional and polished? Here are some great tips to follow.
1. Wear complimentary colors. Avoid having everyone wear the same colored shirt(unless you are going for a 90's vibe). Avoid orange, neon colors, and any colors that wash your skin tone out. Don't forget to iron the wrinkles out!
2. Alternate patterns with solid colored shirts that match the color of the patterned material (see below).
3. Accessorize- Wear a scarf, belt, or cute jacket to create a layered look. Just be careful not to wear too much jewelry- you do not want to take away from your engagement ring if you are having an engagement session.
4. Have fun with it! Do you have a favorite sports team, you both love? A favorite activity you enjoy together? Try to showcase that in a few photos (see below).
5. For engagement photos- Clean your engagement ring- Make sure it's polished and clean so that the close-up ring shot looks awesome! Also, manicure your nails(men also). Again, it's amazing how much detail the camera will show. Dirt under the nails, poorly trimmed nails, and dry skin don't look nice close-up. Also- moisturize your skin.
6. Bring a hairbrush, hairspray, chapstick, lotion, and touch-up makeup- It's amazing what a really good quality camera picks up in detail. You don't want to have dry skin or chapped lips in your photos. If you tend to sweat- bring blotting paper or a wipe. For women- Wear makeup! Even if you typically do not. At the very minimum wear black waterproof mascara(also curl your lashes) and use tinted chap stick. This helps you from looking washed out in your photos and gives your features a nice little pop.
7. If you dress more casually- wear nice, clean jeans and clean shoes (preferably not sneakers). Do not wear t-shirts that have logos or distracting prints on them.
8. Choose 2 outfits each- If you try to wear more than 2 outfits during the session, you may spend more time changing than taking photos. Keep the outfits simple for little ones.
9. For engagement- Use a "Save the Date" accessory in your photo- Are you sending out invitations with a photo of you two? Have a separate save-the-date photo taken with a theme that pertains to you or your wedding. (See below)
10. Bring comfortable walking shoes as well as the shoes you want in the photo. You may need to walk through a field, or up a hill to that perfect location first.
11. Take everything out of your pockets!!!!!! Do not keep your phone, keys, etc in your pockets!!!! You can see the outline in all of your photos more than you think.
12. Exfoliate your facial skin including your lips 1 day prior to your session and then moisturize everything!!!!
Good use of layering with a jacket over a printed shirt with a complimenting solid colored shirt.